BEREZOVSKY & ors
The claimant brought proceedings against (amongst others) Mr Berezovsky’s estate. An application was issued on 9 December 2015 by the trustees of the insolvent estate of the late Mr Berezovsky in the run up to the first CMC. The trustees were Mr Wood, Mr Hellard and Mr Leeds, and they sought a stay of the proceedings against Mr Berezovsky’s estate under s285(1) of the Insolvency Act 1986 as amended by the Administration of Insolvent Estates of Deceased Persons Order 1986 (SI 1986/1999). The trustees’ principal argument was that if a stay was not granted the trustees would be pushed to defend a claim which would take up money that they did not have and would only lead to a pyrrhic victory for the claimant. The assets of the estate were less than the various proprietary claims being asserted against the estate which amounted to $400m in value.
- 1) The application for a stay should be dismissed. It would lead to substantial unfairness in the case to the other defendants if the claim was pursued against them but not against Mr Berezovsky. It did not make sense for the case to proceed against them but to be stayed against Mr Berezovsky.
- 2) Given the stage that the case had reached, if a stay was granted in respect of Mr Berezovsky’s estate, then the effect would be to release the estate from any liability.
JUDGMENT MRS JUSTICE ROSE:  In the run-up to this CMC, which is the first CMC in this case, an application was issued on 9 December 2015 by the trustees of the insolvent estate of Mr Berezovsky. Those trustees are Mr Wood, Mr Hellard and Mr Leeds, and they seek a stay of the proceedings …
Continue reading "Aeroflot-Russian Airlines v Berezovsky & ors  EWHC 3937 (Ch)"
Mr S Davenport QC and Mr A Casey (3 Hare Court, London EC4Y 7BJ, tel 020 7415 7800, e-mail email@example.com) appeared on behalf of the claimant.
Mr P McGrath QC (Essex Court Chambers, 24 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3EG, tel 020 7813 8000, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mr R Blakeley (Brick Court Chambers, 7-8 Essex Street, London WC2R 3LD, tel 020 7379 3550, e-mail email@example.com) appeared on behalf of the first defendant.
The second defendant appeared in person.
Mr F Tregear QC (XXIV Old Buildings) (XXIV Old Buildings, 24 Old Buildings, Lincolns Inn, London WC2A 3UP, tel 020 7691 2424, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org) appeared on behalf of the third and fifth defendants.
Cases in bold have further reading - click to view related articles.
- Biddencare  2 BCLC 160
- Bourne & Ors v The Charit-Email Technology Partnership LLP  EWHC 1901 (Ch)
- Costco Bulk Carrier Co v Amanda Shipping SA  2 All ER (Comm)
- Fennell v Halliwells LLP  EWHC 2837 (Ch)
- Insolvency Act 1986
- The Administration of Insolvent Estates of Deceased Persons Order 1986 (S.I 1986/1999)