Laura Swaine reviews whether payments made by third parties can be offset in fatal accident claims ‘As the law stands any payment made to the claimant from a JustGiving or public fund set up in aid of the claimant falls within the benevolence exception and is not deducted from any personal injury settlement.’ In recent …
Continue reading "Damages claims: The benevolence exception – where does the law stand?"
Cases in bold have further reading - click to view related articles.
- Arnup v MW White Ltd  EWCA Civ 447
- Bradburn v Great Western Railway Co (1874) LR 10 Ex 1
- Hussain v New Taplow Paper Mills Ltd  AC 514
- Longden v British Coal Corporation  UKHL 52
- McCamley v Cammell Laird Shipbuilders Ltd  1 WLR 963
- Parry v Cleaver  UKHL 2
- Pirelli General plc & ors v Gaca  EWCA Civ 373
- Redpath v Belfast and County Down Railway  NI 167