Raymond Cooper highlights the potential problems with including an indemnity covenant in a lease that provides a remedy for breach of the tenants’ own covenants In Royscott , the tenant argued that the landlord should have tried to mitigate the expenses, and the Court of Appeal held that an indemnity was a debt claim and …
Continue reading "Tenants: Tread with care!"
Cases in bold have further reading - click to view related articles.
- Hadley v Baxendale  EWHC Exch J70
- Royscott Commercial Leasing Ltd v Ismail (Unreported; 29 April 1993)
- Scottish Midland Guarantee Trust v Woolley  144 LJ 272
- Total Transport Corporation v Arcadia Petroleum Ltd (The Eurus)  EWCA Civ 2754
- White and Carter (Councils) Ltd v McGregor  AC 413