Rebecca Shorter looks at the issue of concurrent liability in the context of building defects ‘Contract and tort are different sources of obligations. The existence of a contract will not rule out the possibility of a concurrent duty of care in tort to prevent economic loss, but neither will it automatically create such a duty.’The …
Cases in bold have further reading - click to view related articles.
- Anns v Merton LBC  AC 728
- Hedley Byrne & Co Ltd v Heller & Partners Ltd  UKHL 4
- Mirant Asia-Pacific Construction (Hong Kong) Ltd v Ove Arup & Partners International Ltd  EWHC 918 (TCC)
- Murphy v Brentwood District Council  UKHL 2
- Robinson v P E Jones (Contractors) Ltd  EWCA Civ 9